Friday, October 8, 2010

Welcome to the journey!

I recently ordered my first bjd. For those of you who don't know what a bjd is, let me explain. A bjd is an asian ball-jointed doll. There are a lot of diferent doll makers out there. Most of the manufacturers are from China, Japan, or Korea, though there are others around the world, even in the U.S. There are some dolls that are more popular than others.

I didn't even know these dolls existed until a few days ago, and now I am completely sucked in. I know the Blythe dolls are real big here. I would see a lot of stuff for them on etsy, but other than that I didn't think about it much. I always thought they were cute though. It sucks, because you really have to go searching to find these dolls, they aren't going to be at Toys R Us or Walmart.

I ordered myself a bjd the other day from Hong Kong. I got mine from the website www.mimiwoo.com, but there are some U.S. dealers too. Obviously there is ebay, but there's also Denver Dolls, and Junky Spot.

The doll I ordered is from a Korean doll maker. It's called a Hujoo. I love the style of this doll. It will be a custom doll. I will have to do the face up myself. In other words, it's completely raw. No paint, no eyes, no hair, no clothes. Completely up to me to complete it. I love it. I am artistically inclined and this is right up my alley. There are a few differences with a Hujoo and a normal bjd. One being it is made out of ABS plastic. Most bjd dolls are made from resin. As I am lacking monetarily, but completely in love with these little dolls, I found one in my price range. Enter the Hujoo.

Hujoo has three different dolls in this group. A boy called Wings, a Hujoo girl, and a Hujoo Berry. All have a sleepy eyed version, and three choices for skin tones. I ordered the apricot Hujoo girl with the opened eyes. I think my doll will be here in about two weeks, looking forward to that. Until then I am hoping I can learn some more on the internet about doing face ups. There's a lot of information out there on doing face ups on resin dolls, but not so much on the plastic or vinyl.

As for the doll I am creating, she is going to be loosely based on the one that you see. I love the white hair, and pink accents. I have always been a fan of gray. My doll already has a name too. She will be named Amelie. When I ordered her, I also ordered her some purple glass eyes. Ohh, she will be adorable!

Another reason why I ordered this doll as opposed to a Blythe, is the fact that she has already been used in a movie. There was a Korean horror movie made using these dolls. I love that fact, since I am an animation student. There is just something about there styling. It's on the verge of cute and creepy and I just love it!

I think I may eventually pay the five dollars to sign up for den of angels. It's the biggest forum on bjd's in the United States and I think it would be useful. I'll wait a bit on that though. Well, that's all. We'll see how this girl comes out. I'm crossing my fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment